Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Super Bowl recap

http://s19.sitemeter.com/meter.asp?site=s19southeastofdisorder
Three in four, I don't think I'm willing to call it a dynasty(more on this later, I promise) but without a doubt the most impressive football run since the early 90's Cowboys.

The Game
There was really no point playing the first half of this game. The Pats looked like a guy playing the first half of a game of Madden while on the phone, you know, just paying enough attention to keep it close. It was one of those happy to have a tie score after playing that bad type of halves. The second half started with the Tom Brady-Deion Branch drive, Brady is now to the 2000's in Boston as Williams was to the 50's, Russell was to the 60's, Orr to the 70's, Bird to the 80's, and Pedro was to the 90's by the way. At this point any doubt in the minds of Patriots fans had to of been erased. This was as assuring for the Pats as it was the ESU Wolves when Joe Kane returned in the bowl clinching game in The Program. The next Eagles td didn't even seem to matter, every Pats fan knew Brady was back to playing like superbowl Brady. I think Super Bowl Brady may actually be a completely different guy than regular season Brady, not that Tom does not play great in the regular season, but in these three superbowls he has been a machine of Terminator like proportions. He just doesn't make mistakes, he doesn't throw picks, and he systematically dismantles defense. If Brady is the Terminator of machines, then it makes Mcnabb, Rosie from the Jetsons. Mcnabb just couldn't get over that hump, couldn't put together more than a few good throws at a time, and often threw balls up for grabs like he was a drunk college kid playing a late Thursday night intramural flag football game. The ball that Bruschi picked off was such a bad ball Hot Hands Hanon could of caught it without stick 'em. This isn't meant to diminish Bruschi in anyway what so ever by the way, Tedy is a great player with the best head of hair in football, and that is coming from a straight man. I have never seen his hair out of place and never seen him suffer from helmet hair, if I thought my hair would look like that I would grow it out in a heartbeat, I got to wonder if its a side effect of the belichick kool-aid, and if Belechick retires he will patent the kool-aid as hair restoration product. I was really hoping that after the second Harrison pick they would let Vinatieri kick a field goal just for old times sake.
The Commercials
How unimpressive was this years commercial lineup? Did someone tell these companies they were paying 2.2 million dollars for these spots? And why does the marketing department at Mcdonald's continue to commit career suicide? Mcdonald's has billions of dollars which you know if you can do math, you see the signs, 100billion hamburgurs sold. Now why can't they hire someone who can come up with a decent ad campaign? They had it figured out right up until the "I'm lovin it" era, which was brutal. The Lincoln fry is absolutely insulting my intelligence. This is not funny, nor does it have potential to be. If I have to I will create a bring back Grimace petition, and I won't hesitate. Fix this problem now or I'm coming to McWorld with some serious non-violent resistance to these ads. I might even perform a sit in, or even more drastic a hunger strike.
Lays came through big time and delivered M.C. Hammer getting thrown over a fence, bet you forgot about this one in your drunken football crazed night, but can anyone really get enough of Hammer being thrown over a fence? This was one of the best moments of the whole super bowl. American Express threw in a nice one with Count Chocula, Mr. Peanut, Mr. Clean, and a qhole lot of other great former product pushers. I couldn't actually hear the commercial due to the fact my family was too busy arguing the mathamatical odds of my uncle getting beat up by an Eagle's fan (he was at the game.) But I really don't think this commercial could of possibly been bad with Count Chocula involved. The Anheiser Busch ad thanking our troops was well done. After that everything else seemed mediocre, there were no stand out Terry Tate type performances out there.
The Extras
It was pretty cool to see Charlie Daniels play before the game. Is it me or does Bill Clinton look like Woody Page from around the horn? 41 was looking quite a bit more spry than Clinton, looks like the extra term did a bit of a beating on Billy, either that or Hillary did. The Mccartney halftime was good, nothing too spectacular, but good. I think the league wanted a bland halftime. I personally felt they should of had Clinton and 41 do battle in a steel cage, in a return match from 92, this would be a halftime that everyone would watch. Fox did a much better job with this than they did the World Series, not that it took much. I was still waiting for them to show shots of Stephen King and Jimmy Fallon in the crowd.
The Aftermath
Looks like we can look forward to an offseason of Patriots dynasty talk, I'm as excited about winning three in four as anyone, but this is no dynasty. In fact there is no dynasty in professional football history. The only dynasties in sports are the Bulls, Celtics, Yankees, Canadians, UCLA basketball, and if we are counting it as a sport North Carolina Women's Soccer. Thats it, 6. This may at some point become a dynasty a few years down the road, the team is still very young offensively. Brady is just really hitting his prime, Branch, Givens, and Graham are all still very young. I don't really think it matters what happens with the defense as long as Belichick is running the show it will be one of the best in the league. The offseason will be a great break from all the Belichick wardrobe jokes. Next to Michael Jackson, Bill has been the biggest target of jokesters in recent months. I think its getting rediculous, so what if he dresses gameday's like he has a Monday morning 8 am class, he doesn't have a dress code. Your telling me if you didn't have a dress code for work you would never throw on a sweatshirt and sweatpants, of course you would, especially if your job often times had you working outside in tempatures that sink below zero in New England. These jokes are getting so bad that if you Google Belichick with wardrobe malfunction you receive 1,420 results, I think that's a sign that we need to stop with the jokes. In the end I think Belichick is going to go down as the greatest head coach of all time, he is just got opposing qb's wishing the XFL would come back to give them some job security, really can't emphasize his importance enough. I would love to say I can't wait until next season, but I think I will enjoy some warm weather first.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home