Tuesday, September 13, 2005

week in Boston Sports

http://s19.sitemeter.com/meter.asp?site=s19southeastofdisorder

Last years World Series win has apparently done a lot to the psyche of Boston sports fans, and I have to say, I'm impressed. People around here actually seem to have faith in this years Sox. At any other point in my lifetime, if Boston saw the Red Sox lead shrink from 5, to 2 1/2 in a five day span with only a handful of games remaining there would be panic. Actually it would be worse than panic, it would be lawlessness in Red Sox nation. Someone would dig up some old Babe Ruth artifact, something along the lines of a half eaten hot dog the babe tossed out because he couldn't get a hold of any relish, and Red Sox fans would see this as a logical way to exercise the gods and hang on to the AL east lead. Glenn Ordway would be calling for a complete overhaul of the team from the batboy up to Francona, while the Sports Guy would write a 6,000 word column on the impending end of the world as we know it. Instead, outside of a few completely lost souls, everyone seems to have faith in this team. At the same time everyone does seem to have an easy time admitting this team is not a shadow of last years due to a swiss cheese bullpen and inconsistent starting pitching. Winning the series was the most therapeutic thing this city has ever seen. It was as if the entire city sat down with a shrink for an hour, then went for a massage. As long as Shrek (D.O.) sits in the middle of this lineup I think this city has a reason to be relaxed, he should be the leagues MVP, and at this point I'm pretty confident he could single handedly solve the world hunger problem if he wanted to.

New year, same story for the Patriots. I get a kick out of the the few who claim the Patriots aren't going to be the same without Weiss and Crennel. I always saw the two coordinaters in Belichick's system as a couple of sides at a good Barbaque restaurant. Crennel was cole slaw while Weiss was cornbread. Granted coleslaw and cornbread are tasty, but it's the ribs that make the meal, you can live without the the sides, but the ribs are critical and up the value of the sides. Not many people are going to go in and order cornbread and coleslaw, without some sort of main course, and if they are smart they will order ribs, the Belichick of the barbacue world. I do think Crennel and Weiss will succeed at their new jobs, Weiss already has. After all they surely have learned quite a bit from Bill, but Bill is going to be fine, he is the mastermind, there is no doubt about it.
Opening night was awesome as expected for the Pats. A good performance on the field, good opening ceremony although I am sure AC/DC feels snubbed, afterall the Pats played Hell's Bells about 675 times at Foxboro last year, yet Ozzy gets the call for opening night anyway. Brady is still Brady. The Offensive line looked a little sluggish in the first half, but those usually don't gel until around week 5. It was great to see Troy Brown back involved in the offense, he really took one for the team last year playing cornerback, and I think alot of people are going to be reminded of how good of a receiver this guy really is. I wish I could say my fantasy teams week ones as successful as the Pats. I'm in two leagues, in one my quarterback is Donovan Mcnabb, the other league its Daunte Culpepper. I'm sure my misery with the week one performances doesn't need to be stated. Let's not forget I also have Jamal Lewis who looked fat and out of shape, apparently prison was not good to him.

Boston.com puts these crazy photo contests on there web site evry once in a while, the most recent featuring Bostonians with celebrities. This has to be one of the most pathetic and comical lists I've seen. Here are a few of my favorites:

If your a fan of informercials, preferably ones that air between 2 and 5 A.M (and who isn't, really?), these two are for you, http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/gallery/readers_and_celebs_6?pg=3 and http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/gallery/readers_and_celebs_6?pg=10

I've got two tickets to paradise thanks to Eddie. He actually looks dead in this picture, these girls might be pulling a weekend at Bernie's. And kudos to anyone that can actually recognize Eddie in a crowd http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/gallery/readers_and_celebs_6?pg=11

Mr. T, I will say no more http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/gallery/readers_and_celebs_6?pg=13

Ok and lastly, where is the justice in this world, how can they list Mike O'Malley as the star of Yes Dear, as if Guts never happened. And what happened here, he did have hair, I know it, I saw it with my own eyes. It's like he left guts and he lost all desire to look presentable. Simply shocking. He needs to get himself back in shape and win a piece of the green glowing rock. http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/gallery/readers_and_celebs_1?pg=28

Ok, one more, really there were like 300 of these, but how is Gallagher even a celebrity at this point? http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/gallery/readers_and_celebs_5?pg=8

1 Comments:

At 3:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I also have a site about willie wanker chocolate factory
. You can check it out at willie wanker chocolate factory


Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder

 

Post a Comment

<< Home